CHARLES LEWIS CHAPTER HOUSE.
The Mansion House, situated in Tu-Endie-Wei Park, was built in 1796 by Walter Newman for a tavern. It was the first hewn log
house built in the County and was used as an inn, residence, and place of public
entertainment. Later additions were made and the building modernized, but it was
restored to its original state in 1901 by the first DAR Chapter Regent, Dr.
Livia Simpson Poffenbarger aided by the citizens of Point Pleasant and Mason
County. In that year the State Legislature appointed the local chapter, DAR to
be the custodian of the building, since which time it has been furnished in
colonial style, made a repository for historic relics and used as the Colonel
Charles Lewis DAR Chapter House. The Legislature of West Virginia made
provisions in 1913 for its permanent maintenance under the supervision of the
Point Pleasant Battle Monument Commission; Messrs. J. W. Windon, President; John
A. Austin, Secretary; and Charles C. Bowyer, Treasurer.
Park is the site upon which was established the headquarters of General Andrew
Lewis, from which he commanded the Battle of Point Pleasant, October 10, 1774.
Colonel Charles Lewis, Ann Bailey, Cornstalk and the other heroes of the battle
lie buried in this park.